Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lillian Lake Backcountry Camping and Hike


Mads and Bobs are just fine, but Mommy took her first night away from Mads and went into Kananaskis Country with Kristin and Sarah to Galatea trail and hiked nearly 7 kms up to Lillian Lake on friday afternoon.



Mads and Bobs kept their Daddy busy while we hiked. We had to carry our own tent and sleeping bags and sleeping mat, food and water. I rented a pack from the university's outdoor centre.


We were fortunate with good weather and minimal insects. Strangely, we were one of two groups up in the campsite that night. There is room for 20 tents, and there were only 3 including ours. The other group was really nice and around the same age.


You have to book your site and get a permit ahead of time. We cooked wieners and macaroni and cheese for supper, and had bagels for breakfast.


Our site was right on the lake, although somehow we didn't have much time to look at it. We spent a lot of time setting up and making dinner. We didn't get to eat until 8:00pm.


It was a tad cold that night and hard to fall asleep. Especially after the other group thought they heard a bear grunting in the woods nearby. It was certainly possible. We had bear spray and the other group was gung ho to charge after the bear with their big knives.


Fortunately no bear encounter occurred. I felt a bit sick in the middle of the night. Ok I felt really sick and threw up twice from the discomfort, high altitude, and who knows what else. Lots of things make me throw up.


We were gone for a total of 24 hours and make it back without a scratch. Sarah and Kristin thought I would be complaining the whole time but I really think I did well and hardly complained at all. Despite what many people think, I love hiking. Maybe not camping so much, but I went for the experience of it, and I am glad I did.


Besides, we live only an hours drive from these beautiful trails. How can you pass that up?


Mads and Bobs were happy to see me when I got home. Daddy also got to experience what it is like to be with them without another parent for 24 hours so he can understand what I go through as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment