The appointment was at 11:30. I thought I would be fine with taking Bobs along. I did ask bout 8 different people if they could watch Bobs for an hour while I was there but nobody was available except Kristin. Stupidly, I told Kristin I would be fine. I thought I had the confidence.
Bobs was the usual toddler, fiddling around with all the medical equipment, and being bored, and asking for things etc... My usual Dr. wasn't there so I had a substitute Dr. who clearly didn't have a lot of experience dealing with patients yet. She didn't knock when I was half naked with just a small piece of cloth to cover up with, and she took a bit more time than my regular Dr. to do things. I was as patient as I could be.
I had to get her to sign a silly note from my workplace that indicates how long I am medically unable to be at work, due to having been pregnant. They will pay me for this period a maternity leave up to 17 weeks. The standard post partum time is 6 weeks. Last time my Dr. gave me 12 weeks. Fortunately this Dr. agreed she would sign off on 12 weeks.
Then she said she would go and check the note from last time and she would be right back. I waited 20 minutes longer in the hot stuffy room with Bobs and Mads, trying to keep them entertained. Finally she came back in and said that I didn't have to wait in there, and she said I could go, and the note was up front at the desk. I was positive she didn't say that.
Bobs ran around the front area while I talked to the receptionist. She said she would charge me $35 for the medical note. Last time with Bobs, my Dr. did not charge me for this note. I never even thought of the possibility that I would be charged. I asked how I could pay. She said cash or cheque. I did not have either on me. She said they would hold the note until I got the money. It was 12:30 at this point and nobody was left in the office and it was closed until 1:30. So even if I found an ATM, I wouldn't be able to get back in until 1:30 and it was Bobs' nap time. I wanted to cry right there. I had no patience, the kids were irritable... I was tired and I needed this stupid note. I was already angry at my employer for having me get this note as it is not standard these days. I said my husband would come pick it up later then. I then had to write up a note for them signing off that I authorized my husband to pick up the note. Grrr!!
Meanwhile, Bobs had set off some stereo system at the office, and it made a huge noise... and scared him so he was crying. I had to carry him and the car seat all the way to the car. How ironic that I am getting a medical note for how I am unable to work, yet I am working harder today than I ever worked at work!
Of course there was a ton of summer construction on the roads going home so it took ages to get home. It will take at least 1.5 hours for Jamie to go back to the Dr.s to pick up that note and pay for it. Lovely.
Thanks for listening to my vent! At least we are all healthy right?
No comments:
Post a Comment